Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Reaction to Racism

Alright, so there was this article written by Willie Jefferson on the Houston Chronicle's game blog (I didn't even know they had one) about how the writer thought that Left 4 Dead 2 was racist and insensitive. I felt really strong about his article and deicided to post a comment. And since I'm lazy and didn't want to write a blog post, I've decided to post my comment here also. Here is the link to said article by Willie Jeffereson for your reading pleasure.

Now before I say anything I'm going to mention that I'm a 16 year old Canadian Highschool student with little understanding of the Confederation as it stands so I will try to avoid it in my post.

That being said, I want to just make a comment on your disgust with the thought of playing a confederate officer and your statement on how setting a game in New Orleans is insensitive. First off, I think you're being somewhat closed minded towards video games. Its almost as if you're disgusted that a game is putting you in these certain settings or situations because it IS a video game. How come movies are able to deal with topics like racism and video games can't? I think this is the main problem that the game industry seems to be having in terms of being able to forward the medium. If we're all afraid to put an African American Zombie into a game, then how in the world will this medium ever be respected as an art form? I think its silly and ignorant to instantly think that a game isn't allowed to depict such imagery.

I understand why you would be reminded of Katrina by the Left 4 Dead 2 trailer. But honestly, do you REALLY think that was the intention, ostensibly the trailer seemed like a zombie game set in New Orleans. And even if themes regarding the tragedy that was Katrina were even explored in the Left 4 Dead 2(Which I doubt will be the case), don't you think the people at Valve are the right people for the job? I couldn't think of any other developer in the world that would treat the subject with the utmost respect and integrity. The people at valve have proven to be a great , intelligent group of people who make games. You seem to have a problem with these ideas being explored at all but if its handled with respect and care, why is it wrong that a video games moves into this kind of territory? The distraught you're filled with while playing a Confederate in Call of Juarez is proof that video games have the ability to really illicit emotions through gameplay.

I just think you're being too touchy and that you're reaching for ideas a little. I mean, why all of sudden is a game set in New Orleans so offensive to you. Why this? Why not talk about the Stereotypes and Archetypes that black, and even female, characters fall under in video games. Have you ever played any of the games in the Gears of War series? Augustus Cole is depicted as a football loving, loud mouthed African American. Or the African American character in House of the Dead:Overkill. Honestly, you can't get any more token than that. To me these characters are far more offensive than RE5 or L4D2 will ever be.

A lot of your criticisms are not unwarranted at all, a lot of them just seem...misplaced. The things that are bothering you are just a product of the current state the industry is in. We haven't dealt with difficult subjects in games yet and we all jump at the sight of anything that seems controversial, anything that isn't what we'd expect from our same-old Halo shooter. We're too afraid to go into new territory because of the potential backlash that we're likely to get if we do.

Frankly, I want us to be able to depict serious images and have serious stories in our games. We'll never get anywhere at this rate if we continue this way. I understand your feelings, but honestly if things are dealt with respect and are done right, then I don't think there should be a problem. But that's just my opinion.

1 comment: